Follow Me!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Alternatives to Wrapping....

I have to admit. Me and wrapping go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. I remember when I learned how to wrap my hair. I was a freshman at Norfolk State and up until that point I had never wrapped my hair. In fact, my friends thought that was quite odd (I went to an HBCU). Anyway, they were the ones who taught me how to wrap my hair. Fast forward 7.5 years and I'm still wrapping my hair.


Until now.

The further I get into this hair journey of mine, the more I see how traumatic this whole wrapping thing is for my hair. Simply put, for my hair it is A LOT of manipulation. Every time I wrap/unwrap I have a little more breakage than I'm used to. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing it. I just don't feel right doing it on a daily basis when my hair is straightened. This means I need to find alternatives right? Right!

Well so far I just have 2 alternatives (cross wrapping is not one of them...me+cross wrapping= #fail all around):

-Flexi-rods. I dunno why it didn't occur to me eons ago to use them on my dry hair like rollers. Oh well. Better late than never right? I pretty much take the 1 inch flexi-rods (the ones I have are green if you want to go by color) and roll them in my hair. I use a smaller flexirod for my bangs. I'm finding that the 1 inch flexirods provide a nice little "bump" to my ends. All I have to do in the morning is unroll and style. Boom! Done! It's great right? Another benefit of this is that I don't have to use heat on my hair. This is perfect since I just got a trim and if I wanna keep up with the trend of going extremely long periods of time without trimming, I gotta lay off the heat.

In the future, I may try using smaller flexirods to see what kind of look I get from that. For now, however, this will do.

-Pin curling. I've done this once and have been too lazy to try it again. Simply put, pin curling is basically rolling your hair without the roller. Honestly, I'm too lazy to do it. For me, it just seems like a lot of work to do night after night after night....ugh!!

But......

If you want to learn how to do pincurls on your hair, SalonCabelo on YouTube has an awesome pincurling tutorial. Just click the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLST3eCHgJ4

Hopefully, throughout the year, I can find more no heat wrapping alternatives but for now, these will do.

Happy Saturday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment