Follow Me!

Friday, April 29, 2011

First Impressions: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo




The other day I decided to try this shampoo on a whim. I have seen a lot of relaxed ladies on LHCF rave about how awesome this shampoo is and decided to give it a go. I have to admit that I was kinda skeptical about this shampoo because I wasn't too impressed with the deep conditioner from this line. Either way, I wanted to test this shampoo for myself.

I purchased this shampoo at my local Walgreens (it can also be purchased at Target) and it cost me $9.99+tax. for 12oz which places it on the expensive side compared to my staple Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (I can get a huge bottle of Elasta QP for less than $9.00. Like most of the products in the Shea Moisture line, the ingredients are natural.

Ingredients: Deionized water, decyl glucoside (sugar beets), African Butryospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), aloe vera leaf juice, argan oil, panthenol (Vitamin B-5), rosemary extract, sea kelp extract, vitamin E, Lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) extract.

Claims: This shampoo claims to be gentle and will help to "soften, moisturize, and repair damaged, over processed hair."

My First Impressions

It seems to me that the products from this line (well, the products I've used thus far) have a characteristic cake batter scent. Consistency-wise, I would have to say it is no different than any other shampoo-not too watery and not too thick. My only complaint is that you kinda have to work to squeeze the product of the bottle. I think it would be great if you could distribute the product through a pump instead of a squeeze bottle but that is must my personal preference.

In Action

To be a natural shampoo, this 'poo lathers up quite nicely (unlike a certain shampoo by Carol's Daughter). I find that it rinses out easily too (I wasn't rinsing my hair out forever and a day just to get that stuff out like I have to do with Elasta QP). Now let me say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this shampoo! Once I rinsed the shampoo out, my hair felt so soft and moisturized! I have to say that I was shocked because when I used other natural shampoos, my hair felt stripped as all get out (I'm looking at you Kinky Curly Come Clean and Giovanni Smooth as Silk). I couldn't believe it! My hair was so moisturized that I could have skipped my DC if I wanted to.

Bottom Line: I'm impressed! Although I'm going to have to use this shampoo a little bit more to get a definitive impression on the product, I generally know within the first use if a product is good for my hair or not. I must say that this shampoo is a keeper! For now, I give this product a 5 out of 5!

5 comments:

  1. I am growing my hair out naturally from a short pixie cut. When i realized why it was so dry and spongie-bad products mostly- i went out an purchased the SheaMoisture Shampoo, Deep Conditioner and styling milk. Wow is all i can say about the shampoo! My hair was immediately soft and moist and shiny even without conditioning. I honestly never knew a shampoo could make such a difference. I hope i have the same experence with the conditioner. Have it in right now so we will see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I will have to agree with you when talking about changing to a pump, I would love it it they do. I have a bottle of lotion and it takes more effect to get the product out the bottle than neccessary (in my opinion). However, I do love their products, you should try the skincare out as well...you will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard of SheaMoisture from a video on YouTube. I picked up a bottle of the conditioning milk from Walgreens because it was the only thing left. This is the best product I have ever used, and trust me, I have tried almost everything. I have 3b hair that is very dry at the ends and soaks up product. My hair is so happy on this stuff. It actually kept its moisture and stayed soft ALL DAY!!!! Funny thing is, prior to trying SheaMoisture, I order Ouidad just to try it out. For it to be so expensive, it did not work well on my hair. And it one of the products made me break out!!! Needless to say, I returned it. Just goes to show, high price does not mean high quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @The Perils of Penelope I hope you like the conditioner. Personally, I wasn't too impressed by it. Although the conditioner does indeed moisturize, it had absolutely no slip (most likely because there is no mineral oil or cones in the product). I hope it works for you though!

    @mira I admit that I have been wanting to give their skincare products a try. I may have to do so now

    @Anonymous I agree. There have been times where a higher priced product has been crap for my hair. What I have learned is to not look at price but to look at the ingredients. That way I can choose the best products for my hair w/o spending a ton of money. I'm glad you're loving the Shea Moisture line! I am definitely a fan of this shampoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shea Moisture contains Japanese Honeysuckle Extract. With everything going on in Japan, I don't think it is wise for anybody to use any Japanese products or ingredients. Many of their exports are found to have high levels of radiation contamination. So be very careful when purchasing items that have any association with Asian culture or Japan.
    That includes cars (Honda, Toyota), electronics, cell phone (the batteries are from Japan), MAC cosmetic products and brushes, etc,.

    Also Japaense Honeysuckle Extract is a paraben. Its a natural paraben. So its not really the "natural" you were looking for. Campo out of Singapore manufactures this Plantservative. Google it........

    Hope this helps the susta stay safe after the Japan Fallout......with this global economy we have to be smart......if you google Japan and radiation and USA....you will see that most of the stuff going on over there isn't being reported which leaves many americans ignorant.

    ReplyDelete