Follow Me!

Friday, October 28, 2011

First Impressions: Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream









Let me start out by saying, I have NEVER been so underwhelmed with a product in all my LIFE!!! I picked up this shampoo because I just wanted to try a new sulfate free shampoo...just because. Right now I'm lightweight upset that I shelled out the money for this product when I know I could have purchased something that I know works for the same price.

Let's get to the review, shall we?


Price: $9.99+tax for 8oz bottle (On the Curls website, the price is listed as $15)


Ingredients: Water, Sodium Cocyl Isethionate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Steric Acid, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-7, Fragrance, Silk Amino Acids, Panthenol, Certified Organic Daucus Carota Sativa (carrot) seed oil, Certified Organic Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Certified Organic Aesculus Hipocastanum (Horse Chestnut) extract, Certified Organic Salvia Officinalis (sage) leaf extract, , Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel.


Their Claims: (per their website) This creamy, sulfate free cleanser is gentle enough to use daily and moisturizing enough to use alone! Ideal cleanser for curly hair. Great for chemically altered and color treated hair. Perfect for active women on the go!

This rich and creamy sulfate free cleanser gently cleanses your curls, hydrates, and conditions the hair all in one step. Produces a mild, gentle lather, as it is sulfate (detergent) free. Infused with Carrot Seed oil, Horse Chestnut, Sage Leaf and Arnica Montana Flower Extract. Perfect cleanser for relaxed, chemically altered, and/or color treated hair.


This shampoo is different than other shampoos that I have tried in that it has a thick, creamy texture. It is more like a conditioner than it is a shampoo. I have to admit that I actually liked the thickness of it. It looked like it would be super duper moisturizing for my strands. Also, this shampoo also has a really strong, sweet smell. It is almost sickeningly sweet. I think it may be too much for those who are sensitive to scents.

I have to say that this shampoo has little to no lather. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect sulfate free shampoos to be super duper....lather-y but it's nice to have a little something. It felt like a was putting a leave in in my hair instead of shampoo. I really did not like that at all. I wound up going through half the daggone bottle before I felt like my hair was sufficiently clean. For that reason, this shampoo isn't a good value for the price. I think it is a complete waste to spend $10 on a shampoo and you only get a 2 good washes out of it. Aw nah...hell nah! I can spend my money on something else for all of that. However, it did rinse out very clean and didn't leave my hair stripped...which is always a plus.

Bottom Line: I will not repurchase. There are much better sulfate free shampoos out there and if I wanted to co-wash, I would use my beloved HE Hello Hydration. I also don't think it's a good value for the money you spend on it . $10 for 8oz and 2 washes is just funny math in my book.

3 comments:

  1. Dang. Thanks for posting this...I was eyeing the Curls line yesterday. And I agree with you about the smell--all of their other products are labeled "smoothie" or "milkshake" so I guess it's supposed to smell like that...smells like cake batter to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about shampoos not doing some type of lathering..I am not a huge fan of cowashing since I never feel like my scalp and hair is getting sufficiently clean. I NEED some lather (maybe it is all in my mind, but I FEEL it is being cleaned when I see lather). I buy and love 2 sulfate free shampoos: ABBA and Shea Moisture but I always tend to wonder how sulfate free can they be if they lather? Oh well, my hair ain't complaining, so I keep using them. I most definitely will be staying away from this shampoo so thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I definitely feel it's a mind thing-associating lather with clean.

    I have never been so upset that I purchased a product since I started my journey. Had I done my research beforehand, I could have saved me some money. Anyway, you live and you learn. Thank goodness I already have my staple sulfate free shampoos so this wasn't a major blow...it just irked me lol.

    ReplyDelete