Follow Me!

Monday, October 17, 2011

First Impressions: KeraCare Sulfate Free 1st Lather Shampoo




So my friend conned asked me to come to the BSS with her today after class and of course I obliged. I mean who am I not to join her on her trip to the BSS? While I was there, I picked up a shampoo that I had been dying to try: KeraCare Sulfate Free 1st Lather Shampoo. I had heard pretty good things about it but I wanted to give it a test drive. I wound up trying it out this evening since I wanted to be utterly lazy this weekend and didn't wash my hair.


Price: $11.99+ tax for 32oz bottle

Ingredients: Water, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamide MEA, PEG-120, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Polyquaternium-7, Fragrance , Citric Acid, Diozolidnyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnomal, Linalool





Their Claims: KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo Sulfate-Free deep cleans hair and is designed for use prior to a conditioning shampoo. • Produces a rich lather to cleanse hair without stripping the hair of natural oils. • Beautifully prepares hair for a second sudsing with a conditioning shampoo. • Contains no sodium stearate (soap), like most creme shampoos. • Concentrated formula. Cleans hair of oil, dirt and styling product build-ups. • Helps hair absorb conditioners during a second shampoo with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo. • Does not promote dryness and leaves no dulling film. •


Let me first point out that this shampoo is a CLARIFYING SHAMPOO! I only recommend using it to remove nasty gunky buildup (like the -cone build up you may have following a good straightening session) and to use it before you lather up with your moisturizing shampoo. I have found that this shampoo is surprisingly gentle. In the past (waaaaaay back in the beginnings of my HHJ), I used the 1st Lather Shampoo w/ Sulfates.....and it stripped the ever loving life out of my hair. When I tell you that my hair was *squeaky* clean....smh. Anyway, this shampoo didn't leave my hair feeling that way. My hair wasn't squeaky clean but I knew I had did something to it.

Another thing I liked was that the pH of the shampoo is listed on the bottle (4.5) and that the product isn't heavily scented. Another thing I noticed is that the shampoo has a clear, thick, Jell-O like consistency. I just found it interesting because I haven't seen too many shampoos with this consistency. The shampoo also rinses very clean as well. Once i rinsed out the 1st Lather Shampoo, I followed up with my Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. My hair felt soft and moisturized afterwards.

Also, if you look at the ingredient listing, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate sounds suspiciously like a sulfate. Disodium laureth sulfosuccinate is a surfectant like sodium laurel sulfate but is a larger molecule that cannot penetrate the skin (unlike sulfates) and is gentler overall. However, if it worries you, contact Avalon to find out what percentage is included in the formula. 10% of Disodium laureth sulfosuccinate can cause as much irritation as sodium laurel sulfate ( Contact Dermatitis)

Bottom Line: If I had to recommend a clarifying shampoo for someone, this would probably be it. It doesn't strip your hair like most clarifying shampoos do and it simply isn't as harsh. I think that you get a good amount of product for your money too. Definitely a keeper!

4 comments:

  1. Great review! The price isn't too bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hair is extremely fragile and after coloring it and having an allergic reaction that caused me to lose a great deal of hair I was looking for good clarifying shampoo. This one was great. Left my hair clean without stripping away all the moisture. One of my girlfriends whose hair is natural could not believe how moisturized and manageable it left her hair either. She said she will use this product along with the conditioner forever. I'm with her!!! My hair is in much better condition now, but I am very cautious about what I use on it. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete