Follow Me!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

First Impressions: Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm








Technically, this isn't a first impression sort of review. I have had Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm since December 2011 and have been using it quite regularly. For some reason, I'm just now getting to review it.

Well better late than never, right? Let's get to the review!


Price: $16.00+ tax for 8 oz (I picked this up at Freestyle Beauty Supply in Alexandria, VA but it can be ordered online at Sage Naturalceuticals)

Ingredients: Pure grapeseed oil, pure olive oil, vegetable glycerin, vegetable emulsifier, pure wildflower honey, MSM, naturally scented

Consistency/Scent: Being that honey is an ingredient in this product, the product itself is thick and viscous. There wasn't an overpowering scent in the product that I could detect. There is a faint citrus-y/lemony scent but it's not like someone squeezed an orange into the jar





Their Claims (per the Qhemet Biologics website):

"Our pure and natural hydrating balm leaves dense, coarse and dry hair touchably soft, moist and supple."

Does not contain mineral oil, lanolin, proteins, silicones, artificial fragrances, dyes or parabens.

Has a natural, light citrus scent.


I gotta admit when I first purchased this product, I saw the word 'hydrating' and immediately thought of moisture and thought it would be a good substitute for Qhemet Biologics AOHC (see my review here). So the first way I tried to use this product was as a moisturizer. I mean, honey is a humectant right? Plus, the company claims the product is moisturizing. Well using the product as a straight out of the jar moisturizer was a complete and utter FAIL on damp,dry hair, straight hair, and not so straight hair! My had had never felt so dry! Honestly, it turned me off to the product for about a month or two.

Then I did some research and came back to it.

I found that a few people use the hydrating balm as more of a sealant than a stand alone moisturizer. So, I decided to apply Qhemet Biologics AOHC to damp hair and then apply the Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm. To my surprise, this combination leaves my hair soft and moisturized. I find that the addition of the balm allows my hair to stay moisturized until my next wash day. So,the olive and honey hydrating balm is a solid product when used in conjunction with another moisturizing product.

Also, just a general fyi, because this product is so thick you really want to take care not to use a lot of it. I think it would be easy to wind up with weighed down, sticky hair if you do. Finer haired ladies may want to skip this product as well since it can be pretty heavy.

Bottom Line: I was rather underwhelmed with the product's performance as a stand alone moisturizer and feel that it doesn't live up to its claim. Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm is a good product in combination with a great moisturizer (whatever your moisturizer of choice may be)--making it an excellent sealant. I think it is a nice product to have but if you have a sealant that works for you, there really isn't a need to break your neck to purchase it. All and all, it's a solid product for me but isn't staple worthy.


**Please forgive the photo quality. I'm making do with the cameras I have currently**

No comments:

Post a Comment