Follow Me!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

First Impressions: Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler





Lately I have been looking for a more cost effective leave in alternative to my beloved Kinky Curly Knot Today. I love the stuff but my hair just DRINKS the stuff and having to constantly restock my bottles at 12 bucks a pop is not where it's at. So, it is time for me to find products that are cheaper yet effective at moisturizing my hair.

Enter Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler.

Price:
$6.99+tax for 8oz (I purchased my bottle at Target. However, you can get yours are Rite Aid, Walgreens, and Walmart)

Ingredients: Deionized Water , Vitamin E , Olive Oil , Silk Protein , Cocoa Butter Oil Extract Cetrimonium Bromide , Ceteareth 20 , Vegetable Glycerin , Mineral Oil , Glycerol , D&C Yellow #5 , Fragrance , DMDM Hydantoin , Detanglers , Balsam , Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis)

Their Claims: This product eliminates tangles on contact. Softens hair, defines curl pattern and stops breakage while combing. Rich with moisturizers, protein and conditioners, this product coats and protects hair while softening. For curly, coily, and wavy hair textures. Light formula, no build up.

I used this product immediately following a shampoo and DC session. I have to say: it is a great detangler! I am able to go through my final detangling session with relative ease, which is a plus in my book. I see no breakage and my hair is left feeling very soft (for the most part). It definitely lives up to its name as being 'The Great Detangler.'

In terms of moisturizing, I have to say that it is a decent moisturizer. My new growth and relaxed hair was left feeling very soft and moisturized. However, this softness didn't last for long. By mid-week I find myself giving my hair an extra shot of moisture when I use this product. I think it's a great moisturizer in the short term but if your aim is to not have to moisturize your hair until your next wash day, you may find yourself a tad disappointed.

The Great Detangler is a white, somewhat creamy leave in. It isn't as thick as Knot Today and teeters on the edge of having a watery consistency. In terms of smell, The Great Detangler has a scent that is similar to Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream: a mild citrus like scent. It doesn't particularly bother me but if you are sensitive to scents, you may want to pass on this product.

Focusing on the ingredients, I think it is great that this leave in has a balance of protein and moisture. If you have been following my latest posts, you know that I am rediscovering how important this balance is to hair care. For that reason this product gets major points from me. However, The Great Detangler also contains mineral oil and glycerin. If your hair does not respond well to these ingredients or if you are trying to avoid them, you should skip this product.

Bottom Line: The Great Detangler is a solid product that delivers on what it promises. I find it to be an effective detangler that imparts moisture-even if that moisture only lasts in the short term. This product appears to have a balance of protein and moisture that is always a plus but contains mineral oil and glycerin. If these ingredients agree with your hair, I say give this detangler a go!

4 comments:

  1. The ingredients sounded great at first, until i saw the mineral oil, what a shame :/ but it would explain why ur hair wasnt moisturised for long x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...my hair really isn't a fan of mineral oil at any concentration apparently lol

      Delete
  2. I might give this a try if I find it difficult to find some Mane 'n' Tail Detangler when I run out (which will be pretty soon!).

    ReplyDelete