Follow Me!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

It All Starts With Not Relaxing......

Happy Tuesday lovelies.


Welp. It is June 2nd and I am nowhere near getting my relaxer that I was due to get last month. With each passing day, it looks like I may be bidding adieu to my relaxed days.

And I am actually fine with that.


Let me explain.

Lately, I have been on a major twist out kick, especially with the weather warming up. I have noticed that my twist outs look 10x better the further I get into my stretch. I'm also loving the curly/ coilyness of my new growth. It makes me kind of wonder what it would be like to have a whole head of the stuff. Kind of a shallow reason but eh.

Perhaps the most important reason why I have not ran back to my relaxers is that it really is not difficult to do my hair. I keep my new growth well moisturized, limit my detangling sessions to wash day, and since I'm not trying to maintain straight hair styling is a breeze. Ultimately, I'm not feeling particularly moved to relax.



I do have mixed feelings about this potential transition. I've been relaxed for so long and this blog was started with relaxed heads in minds. On the other hand, I have yet to experience my natural hair as an adult and I'm curious about it. Furthermore, I have noticed my students fascination with my hair. How amazing would it be for my students to grow up knowing that natural hair is beautiful? It gives me all the more reason to transition.

While I'm going to wait until the end of summer to officially announce if I'm transitioning (hey, I may get to month 8 and say NOPE!!), I just want the put y'all on notice since I am way behind on a relaxer and a length check!

So, I may be another relaxed hair blogger that is joining the natural train......


P.S.--Take a look at my best twist out thus far!! Can ya see why I'm contemplating the natural life? Lol!


11 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right chica! It alllll starts with not relaxing. For me it all started with realizing that I didn't "need" a relaxer to maintain my hair and just getting bored with the tedious relaxer process! Regardless of what you choose, we all know that your will be GAWGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks KLP!!
    Reading your story makes me wonder how many naturals decided to go that route because of just not feeling relaxers. Just about every going natural story I have heard has had some deep profound explanation. Very rarely have I heard " I was due for a relaxer and I just wasn't feeling it" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your transition! Your twist out is to die for!!! When I decided to transition it was similar to you, just wanted to see my natural hair and twist outs looked fab! Welcome on board the transition train!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm transitioning also. I'll be a year post in three weeks. I love your twistout! What did you do to get such great definition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I do my twist outs, I usually do them on damp hair. However, this go round I put Oyin Hair Dew and Oyin Burnt Sugar pomade (+ Taliah Waajid Curly Curl creme for hold) on my hair. I think this may be the magic combination for me!

      Delete
  5. I am in the same boat.. 10 months post relaxer and I doubt I will be going back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How long do you plan on transitioning before you get rid of your relaxed ends?

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exciting!
    As you say, you will be able to show your students how you can wear natural hair and how good it can look. Coz all though there are a lot of naturals around, many of them wear wigs or braid extensions and that seems still be the norm when it comes to "look professional". Best wish with whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete